This pregnancy is flying by, and I can’t believe that we are 2/3rds of the way there! After I shared my first trimester update, I got a few requests to share more on my pregnancy as I leave my second trimester, I wanted to share how we’re doing!
I’m feeling pretty good! That pregnancy insomnia and nesting are starting to kick in, and I usually find myself pretty tired come the end of the day, but getting very excited that baby will be here in just 3 short months! I always get asked what some of my symptoms are so here are a few to note…
- Lots of baby movement (my favorite pregnancy symptom)!
- Slight insomnia. I will usually have a little trouble falling asleep, followed by one middle fo the night trip to the bathroom, followed by having trouble falling back asleep, followed by baby waking up around 4-5am, then followed by a few more hours of sleep after Brian leaves for work at 5:45am.
- Reflux, a not so fun symptom that will typically go away with one dose of Tums.
- Feeling pretty tired and “stretched” come the end of the day. Support bands are a must!
- Backaches when I stand for too long or do things around the house that require standing for too long (like doing the dishes or baking).
- Clumsiness! This might be my least favorite pregnancy symptom so far, haha. I am typically a very coordinated and fast moving person, but with my center of gravity totally out of wack, I find myself bumping into doorways or clipping my toe on things. Obviously not the biggest deal in the world, but it’s very frustrating at times.
- Braxton Hicks contractions. Before I got pregnant, I always thought Braxton Hicks a) happened much later in pregnancy and b) were contractions of your entire uterus. But, I was wrong! These are basically “practice” contractions that happen throughout your second and third trimester and, at least right now, they feel like tiny parts of your uterus tightening (kinda like a big pinch that goes away within 10 seconds). I’m guessing they might get more intense as I head into the end of my pregnancy. Crazy, right?!
- Nesting! Even though I normally like to organize and update things around the house, the nesting struggle is REAL! We have already rearranged the living room, put together most of the nursery, and are working on a play area in the basement. Getting the house ready for baby is pretty much always on my mind, haha.
Baby is doing well! We have our 28 week appointment next week, which will include a standard gestational diabetes test and pertussis vaccine, in addition to my flu shot and RhoGam shot (because of my blood type, I have to get a series of shots so that my body doesn’t build up antibodies to future pregnancies). Other than that, baby loves when daddy talks and plays with him every night before bed (Brian puts his hand on my stomach and baby loves to kick and punch, he even can react to Brian giving him a little nudge). We have one more ultrasound at our 32 week appointment, and I can’t wait to see him!
Are you feeling baby kick?
Kick, punch, jab, you name it! This boy does it all! He’s finally made it up to momma’s ribs, too, so that’s fun haha.
Is the nursery ready?
Almost! We have almost all of the furniture and are starting to organize the clothes and presents that have already been sent over for him. Truth be told, babies need A LOT of stuff! We have a very small nursery, so we are trying to get creative with the space, and also not register for too much of what we don’t need.
Do you have a name picked?
Yes (but it’s a secret)!
Are you and Brian planning a babymoon?
Though we would have loved to fly off on a pre-baby adventure during my second trimester, unfortunately, due to COVID-19, we will not be taking a babymoon. We were planning on going to Barcelona, Lisbon and Porto this past summer, but we have used this time to save up for our first family vacation instead! This kid will be well traveled!
Are you still planning a baby shower?
Yes! We will be having a big virtual shower next month. My two besties through me a very small outdoor/socially distanced shower with just us and our moms, which was so nice to be able to celebrate in person and get some normalcy. We’re bummed we can’t celebrate with all of our family and friends in person, we are betting this kid’s first birthday party will be epic!
I’ll be writing a few more post about baby before he comes in January, so be sure to stay tuned for more! For day-to-day updates, be sure to follow along on Instagram!