We officially landed in Mexico yesterday, and boy are we excited to get our beach on! While our full vacation recap will be coming soon, I wanted to share my Cancun packing list along with some tips on prepping for a tropical vacation.
Tropical Vacation Prep
Planning for a warm weather vacation can be very exciting (especially in the dead of winter). But, there are some things that you should consider when planning and packing for your trip.
- Research any necessary travel vaccines and health information for your destination. While you’re most likely safe when traveling within the US, I’d recommend doing a little research before any international trip. You can search the CDC’s website for more information, or scheduled a consultation at Passport Health. You can get a lot of great information on recommended vaccines and overall health and safety precautions for our destination (this includes information on water and food safety!). If you do plan on getting any vaccines prior to traveling, be sure to allow time for your body to build immunity; two-four weeks before your flight is typical for most vaccines.
- Pack proper sun protection! The sun’s rays are more intense the closer you are to the equator, so you are more likely to get burned. Please do yourself several favors and stock up on sunscreen, lip balm with SPF and protective clothing. For clean sunscreen and lip balm, I love using Supergoop! products. For protective clothing, I like traveling with a hat, usually a baseball cap, and using shirts with UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) sun protection. Having clothing with a good UPF is perfect for really hot/humid climates where the likelihood of you sweating off your sunscreen is high. I am a stickler for sun-safety, so you will find links to all of these items in my Cancun packing list below.
- If you are traveling internationally, make copies of your passports. This might be seen as an unnecessary precaution, but it will save you a lot of headache if you accidentally loose your passport! Keep two copies with you while traveling and leave one copy with someone at home. (For more info, and further international travel tips, check out this blog post!)
- Jean shorts
- Athletic shorts
- Tank Tops
- Sunscreen shirt – I just ordered this Freefly shirt that has 50+ UPF sun protection, and I am way too excited to wear it
- Maxi dress from Amazon
- Linen button down/coverup from Lole
- Bathing suit – Two piece and One piece
- Sports bra/socks/compression socks (for the flight)/underwear
- Packable jacket
- Gym shoes – For any workouts or hikes we might go on
- Baseball hat – To help block the sun during exploring
- Sun glasses
- Book & magazines – I am bringing Quench and some old magazines I have never gotten around to reading (in the hopes I will get through them and recycle them during our trip)
- Insect repelling lotion
- Sun screen – I love Supergoop! sunscreen
- Lip balm with SPF – Since I love Supergoop! so much, I decided to try their lip balm with SPF 30 for this trip
- Travel meds/excedrin/motion sickness meds and bands/heartburn meds – I like to keep all of these on hand when I travel, just incase
- Curling iron
- Shampoo/Conditioner/dry shampoo
- Face wash/moisturizer
- Thieves oil – To avoid getting sick while traveling (check out more of my travel wellness tips in this post)
- Make up – Typically, for tropical vacations, I like to keep make up pretty minimal
- Camera charger
- Phone charger
Be sure to keep up with our trip over on my Instagram, and comment below if you’d add anything to my Cancun packing list!